An exceptional geological site is concealed beneath the limestone landscape of Haute-Soule and Barétous. Stay in the area of Sainte-Engrâce between the Basque Country and Béarn and discover the Verna Cave and the canyon of La Pierre Saint-Martin. From your pied à terre in Sainte-Engrâce, enjoy the beautiful hikes and summer activities on offer at the La Pierre resort.
Imagine a 660-metre-long man-made tunnel which leads to the world’s largest underground room open to the public (ten times bigger than Notre Dame de Paris). Discovered in 1953, the Verna Cave is a geological wonder and an absolute must-see. Accessible from 5 years and over and by appointment only, this promises to be a unique experience to share as family. A range of theme visits are on offer to try out caving activities at your own pace.
After this amazing underground adventure, you’ll be delighted to emerge to the panoramic views of the La Pierre-Saint-Martin ski resort. The mountain air is pure in the summer and the resort offers a host of nature-based activities including mini-golf, big airbag jumping, summer sledging, target shooting and especially mountain biking. Take advantage of your holiday to climb on a bicycle or a scooter, chairlifts will take you to the heights to enjoy the thrills of racing down the slopes on seven Enduros trails.
Choose your accommodation in Sainte-Engrâce from a range of guesthouses, gîtes, hotel rooms or campsite. In this village at the foot of the Basque mountains, your holiday in the outdoors will allow you to switch off and unwind.
Sainte-Engrâce is the perfect location for hiking fans to fill their slow holiday days. Walking trails from 2 to 19kms all depart from Sainte-Engrâce. There’s something for everyone in this eco-friendly environment of the great outdoors, between meadowlands, streams, shepherds’ cabins and panoramic views. You can also set off on the GR10 (step 12), from Sainte-Engrâce to La Pierre-Saint-Martin, which will take you through the canyons and forests of Haute-Soule before climbing the mountainside. You can also climb to Issarbe, at an altitude of 1,450m. Ideal for hiking or mountain biking, with two sign-posted circuits departing from the site. A total immersion in nature, between forest, mountain crests, a view of the Pic d’Anie and the Barétous Valley. All these discoveries and soft activities in the Basque Country will make your slow travel here an unforgettable experience!
TO GET EVEN MORE OUT OF YOUR HOLIDAY:
- Verna Cave: Advance booking only. 5 years and over Duration: 1 hour (discovery tour). Dress warmly (temperature of the caves at 6°C) with closed footwear. Headphones and audio-guides provided.
- To descend to the La Pierre-Saint-Martin resort by mountain bike, rent your electric mountain bike at the Tardets Tourist Office (helmets, instructions and circuits provided).
- Seven hiking trails departing from Sainte-Engrâce: maps available from your accommodation and restaurants in the village or on- site in the municipality of Sainte-Engrace.
- GR 10 (step 12) from Sainte-Engrâce to La-Pierre-Saint-Martin (12km – 6 hours – +1,306m).
- Terra Aventura “Journey to the Centre of La Pierre”. This geo-caching application offers a circuit in La-Pierre-Saint-Martin in search of sheep-herders, sheep, groundhogs and other local wildlife.
- Herauskorritxe – Basque mythology in Tardets-Sorholus: artistic installation, 45-minute visit.
BOOK YOUR ACTIVITIES
Discover the hidden beauties of La Pierre Saint-Martin at your own pace on an electric or standard mountain bike, master your downhill technique on Endure circuits, or take to the wild.
Enter the underground adventure of the Verna Cave in Sainte-Engrâce, an iconic and picturesque village of La Soule, in the heart of the Basque mountains. Discover caving.
UPDATE: Health pass not required. La Pierre Saint-Martin, the Pyrénées in 360°! Are you familiar with the ski resort in winter? Come discover its summer version! Descend the peaks and slopes by bike.
BOOK YOUR ACCOMMODATION
Book your stay at Behiagoitia, a gîte nestled in an exceptional landscape of breath-taking views. This 17th-century house and its outbuildings (barns) are a typical example of local architecture.
In the mountain village of Sainte Engrâce, Amélie welcomes you to this charming house for a relaxing holiday in sophisticated comfort. The perfect location to unwind.